18 June 2003

Search all issues

powered by FreeFind

Send Your Feedback!

Malta Enterprise could start operations by year’s end

- talks with Opposition to begin soon

Finance and Economic Affairs Minister John Dalli told The Malta Financial and Business Times yesterday, the Malta Enterprise draft law was passed on to Cabinet earlier this week. Minister Dalli said talks would soon be started with members of the Opposition, and the law should be presented to Parliament before the end of the summer recess.
"We shall be meeting the Opposition to explain changes which have been made to the law concerning Malta Enterprise in these past weeks that I have been Minister for Economic Affairs. We have attempted to update what was previously in the law with current European thought.
"I hope the law will be passed before the summer recess. Right now there are preparations for its setting up going on, and I hope it will be in function by the third or fourth quarter of the year."
The proposal, which aims to join the forces of three major government enterprises – the Institute for the Promotion of Small Enterprises, the Malta Development Corporation and the Malta External Trade Corporation – will undoubtedly be welcomed by the business community.

The amalgamation of the Malta External Trade Corporation, the Malta Development Corporation and the Institute for the Promotion of Small Enterprises into Malta Enterprise is undoubtedly one of the most awaited consolidations taking place at the moment.
Once set up Malta Enterprise is to provide a one-stop-shop for all three sectors serviced by the three entities dealing with, in their own rights, international trade, foreign direct investment and assistance for small enterprises.

Copyright © Newsworks Ltd. Malta.
Editor: Saviour Balzan
The Business Times, Newsworks Ltd, 2 Cali House, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 02, Malta
Tel: (356) 21382741-3, 21382745-6 | Fax: (356) 21385075 | E-mail