13 June 2007

The Web
Business Today

Malta Today

illum

MTA CEO needs to understand the industry – Winston Zahra Jr.

David Mifsud’s departure from MTA has dealt yet another blow to the Tourism Authority still floundering from the forced resignation of Romwald Lungaro Mifsud Mifsud tendered his resignation after being confronted by Permanent Secretary Peter Portelli on Saturday who suggested that it would be wise if he tendered his resignation in the face of so much opposition from hoteliers and operators.
Mifsud had made a fool of himself at the MTA conference when he revealed his poor understanding of tourism facts when faced with questions by hoteliers Winston Zahra and Kevin Decesare.
MTA sources also talked of growing tension between Sam Mifsud the MTA Chairman and the CEO. Even though Sam Mifsud was one of the four individuals sat on a board and selected David Mifsud. The other three members were Peter Portelli, former MTA executive chairman Romwald Lungaro Mifsud and former MHRA chief Justin Zammit Tabona.
The breaking point for David Mifsud appears to have been the MTA annual meeting which confirmed the CEO’s lack of knowledge in relating to tourism stats leading prominent MTA members to put into question his capability of running the job at MTA.

His departure will probably mean the job of chief executive will be taken up unofficially by Sam Mifsud assisted by senior consultant George Micallef who is held in high esteem by the local hotel industry.
Contacted yesterday MTA Chairman Sam Mifsud said he did not know the reason why David Mifsud resigned as CEO. Asked whether Mifsud was forced to resign, the MTA Chairman said that to his knowledge, this had not been the case.
This newspaper also spoke to former MHRA President and leading hotelier, Winston Zahra jnr on the resignation of Mifsud and if this was a worrying episode in an ever increasing path of disaster for the MTA and tourism in general.
“Any break in the continuity of the management of the MTA is unfortunate and this obviously creates an amount of concern. It is critical that going forward, the right person with the right qualities and understanding of the industry is chosen”.
Asked if the recent debacle would have an effect on the tourism recovery plan and on the MTA’s operations, Zahra said that this plan was still way far off from being implemented.
“I have personally not commented about the performance of the MTA or the minister since the change in leadership at the MTA 9 months ago. As I have done in the past however, I will continue to speak up objectively if I feel there is a need to do so. The progress on the implementation of the national tourism recovery plan has been too slow of late as although there has been an increase in tourism arrivals, bed nights have gone down overall. We are still a long way off from turning the corner”.
Asked on the outlook for the MTA, Zahra said that the chairman understands the industry but needs support to achieve the goals set out.
“The chairman needs a CEO who can drive the marketing effort forward effectively and produce the results that the island needs. The sooner this person is found and put into place, the better for all concerned”.
Speaking to this newspaper, Malta Hotels and Restaurants Association President expressed concern at Mifsud’s resignation but reaffirmed his faith in the MTA Chairman.
“We are concerned and hope that the MTA will be put back on track as fast as possible. We reiterate our full confidence in the chairman and the MTA needs a CEO who can drive the marketing effort forward”.
Asked on the MHRA’s relationship with David Mifsud, Formosa Gauci stopped short of criticising him but said that ‘there are occasions when one agrees and others when one disagrees”.
Business Today also spoke to hotelier Kevin Decesare who said that although Mifsud resigned, he still believed that the MTA would continue doing its work unhindered.
“I can’t say I’m not concerned about the recent developments at the authority but it isn’t just the CEO which runs the show. There have been a lot of positive developments lately especially with the new publicity contract signed with Media Consulta. The chairman is a hotel man and I believe that he’s doing an excellent job at the MTA. As for Mifsud, I’m sure he had his own reasons for resigning and I really wouldn’t want to comment on them as I don’t know a thing anyway. I’m not privy to what happens internally at MTA and few people are anyway so I really have no comment to make”.
After this debacle, the government yesterday announced that it would be increasing MTA funds to go towards the new low cost airline routes and for intensified marketing campaigns abroad.

Business Today is published weekly on Wednesdays.
Website is updated weekly on Thursdays
Copyright © MediaToday., Malta
Managing Editor - Saviour Balzan

Business Today, MediaToday, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann
Tel: (356) 2138 2741 | Fax: (356) 2138 5075 | E-mail