MediaToday

BUDGET 2008| Tuesday, 16 October 2007

Gonzi’s confident thriving economy

A Lm40 million boost in capital and recurrent expenditure with a concurrent decrease of Lm12 million in income tax still keeps the prime minister confident in lowering the budget to 1.2 per cent and eventually turning into a surplus.
“We’re concentrating on job creation and economic growth, and introducing measures that are felt in people’s pockets,” Gonzi said. “We can do all this because we have been successful as a country.”
The prime minister said he was prudent in the budget.
“We didn’t want to jeopardise all that we have built over the last years. Until 2010 the deficit has to end and we should have a surplus. That target remains. We could have been much more generous but it wouldn’t make sense at this point.”
About the increases to children’s allowance irrespective of parents’ income, Gonzi said this was a measure which now the country could afford.
About the Opposition, Gonzi said: “I saw some surprised faces on the other side… They’re saying it’s too little, too late. I leave it up to the people to judge. I had two and a half hours and it wasn’t enough to explain all the changes and measures we’re introducing. I will now leave it to the ministers to explain all the details. I would be glad if the Opposition votes in favour of this budget. I hope it votes in favour of the chidlren’s allowance measure, but something tells me they’ll still vote against.”

16 October 2007
ISSUE NO. 507

The Web
Business Today

Collaborating partners:

www.german-maltese.com

Malta Today

illum

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 07, Malta, Europe Tel. ++356 21382741, Fax: ++356 21385075