MediaToday
Comment | Wednesday, 20 May 2009

Adding value to the hospitality product

Julian Zarb

Last week, the Prime Minister made reference to the recent Harmonized index of Consumer Prices (HICP) and showed a genuine concern for the results reflected in the hospitality, recreation and culture sectors where there were sharp increases of 11.7 per cent and 3.8 per cent respectively. In those sectors that reflect a more social aspect, such as Housing, Water and Electricity and Gas - a 3.3 per cent drop was reflected. In this week’s article I would like to reflect on these results and on the possible causes for such changes during a time when we really need to be adding value and not pricing to our hospitality and tourism product.
When we take a look at the hospitality increases, the HICP reports that this was due to the fact that there were seasonal price increases in accommodation services. Perhaps a clear example of how the industry is reacting to low occupancy from the international tourism markets can be seen in the way they are trying to supplement a gap in business through an increase in domestic tourism promotional campaigns – the question is, are these sustainable? I was recently speaking to some hoteliers who actually admitted that they registered an increase in business on the local scene from food and beverage and accommodation, over the Easter period despite the fact that they had increased their prices from 2008. We need to look into the feasibility of such price adjustments and see just how we can make adjustments. This is not done by passing any increases on to the client but rather by reviewing our management processes and cost control strategies. I admit, it is all too easy to hike up prices and then blame it on the cost of living increases and additional costs of raw material, but are we using those SMART factors we all speak about during seminars, fora and workshops? So step one entails being action driven, and not reactive.
On the other hand, we also need to be creative and innovative in our product offering. With over thirty years of experience in the hospitality and tourism industry both in Malta and in the UK, I have accumulated a portfolio of experiences (indeed this is an ongoing process and we can never say we have gained enough experience in this field) to understand that what we are offering our clients in Malta and Gozo lacks the finesse, the authenticity and the uniqueness we need to create that “wow” factor. Speaking for myself, and I am sure that others will also agree here, I have given up searching for the ideal venue for real value for money and I prefer to organise my dinner parties or luncheons at home. I admit, is this really being loyal to the industry I love and support so much? But then, why can’t we get it right? Is it perhaps because we try to adopt ideas that have been a success in other locations abroad without thinking about the way these should be adapted to the local environment? Is it because we tend to complicate our product instead of following the simple method and the more unique experience? On a recent day-visit to Gozo, I dined in a very simple and quaint restaurant in one of the more typical villages, it was, for us anyway, one of the best experiences of uniqueness and value for money we have ever had over these last few years.
In a nutshell then, adding value to the hospitality and tourism product need not mean increased prices but rather a matter of being creative, innovative and using the simple method to manage this industry by using SMART factors.

PRINT THIS ARTICLE

Other News

Finance Ministry hides Gozo ferry losses

Hundreds expected to appeal after VAT interest court ruling

European hospitality industry calls for shift in EU policies

MEA clarifies misconceptions on Maternity Leave

Cordina calls for trustworthy resources regulator

MHRA welcomes the setup of an agency to manage beaches

Central Bank releases monetary statistics

Scandinavians to power up Malta

Greek sporting magnate arrested in Malta

Ryanair proposes base in Malta against reduced charges

MHRA slates NSO on hotel pricing stats

Comment: Adding value to the hospitality product

Innovative Medicine Initiative

Quo vadis Enemalta?

HSBC and Malta Enterprise sign partnership agreement

GS1 2009 Saudi Symposium

BOV Sponsors Dean’s List for 13th Consecutive Year

“Delaying eco-tax refunds is a disservice to well deserving companies” - GreenPak

Children benefit from Helen O’Grady development programme

Here come the girls

20 May 2009
ISSUE NO. 583

Collaborating partners:

www.german-maltese.com

Malta Today

illum

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 07, Malta, Europe Tel. ++356 21382741, Fax: ++356 21385075
Managing Editor: Saviour Balzan