MediaToday
News | Wednesday, 21 October 2009

Stephen Wright to step down as Melita CEO

Company Chief Operations Officer to take over in January 2010

Charlot Zahra

Telecoms company Melita plc’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Stephen Wright will be stepping down from his post at the end of his term in Malta after spending two years at the helm of the company.
A company statement yesterday afternoon said that he would be handing over to Andrei Torriani, who is currently Melita’s Chief Operations Officer (COO).
Torriani joined Melita as Managing Director of Melita Mobile and Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Melita in July.
Prior to joining the company, Torriani led Telefonica O2’s consumer-focused telecom-munications business in the Czech Republic covering a portfolio of advanced mobile, broadband, fixed telephony and pay-tv services to over 7 million customers.
His experience included several senior roles with telecom operators throughout Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
Thanks to his strong management team and the invaluable addition of Andrei Torriani to lead them, Wright said he had “every confidence” that Melita would continue to grow and strengthen its leading position in home entertainment and communication services.
The company said that during his two years in Malta, first as Melita’s COO and later as CEO, Wright “successfully” lead Melita through the restructuring of the company’s top management, rebranding Melita, the launch of Melita Mobile, the laying of a submarine fibre optic cable connection between Malta and Sicily and the consolidation of Melita’s position as a leading provider of home entertainment and telecommunication services in Malta.
“I would like to express my gratitude to the Board of Directors and shareholders for their support throughout during the past 2 years,” Wright commented about this announcement.
He also thanked all Melita staff for their “continuous commitment” towards steering Melita into “unchartered grounds”.
“Finally, I thank the people of Malta for trusting Melita to provide their home entertainment and communication services and for making me feel at home,” Wright concluded.

[email protected]

PRINT THIS ARTICLE

Other News

Chamber rejects MCESD proposals

Unions warn government not to raise energy tariffs

Bulgaria-Malta trade talks

GRTU calls on government to revise electricity revision formula

Stephen Wright to step down as Melita CEO

Cola 2010, is it justified?

The golden triangle

21 October 2009
ISSUE NO. 604

Malta Today

illum

Collaborating partners:

www.german-maltese.com

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 07, Malta, Europe Tel. ++356 21382741, Fax: ++356 21385075
Managing Editor: Saviour Balzan